A Resolution or Goal to Simplify
Who makes even one New Year's resolution or goal and sticks to it, let alone multiple? Very few of us, right? This year, I'm making a resolution or goal to SIMPLIFY. I prefer the word goal. Goals are good. Vision boards start to replace sugar plums dancing in my head this time of year. In fact, starting fresh each year gives me an adrenaline rush.
What 2019 has allowed me to accomplish:
- I started this blog!
- I donated five gift baskets to local fundraiser events.
- I hosted more live sales than ever.
- We added numerous kits to our online shop.
- My team and I started a weekly newsletter.
- I was able to raise around $600 for Joey's Paw from auctioning off my own personal household items!
- My team switched us over from Etsy to Shopify and we re-vamped the entire online store.
- We added new workshop options like chunky blankets.
- I learned how to use two new scheduling apps for Pinterest and Instagram.
- I attended my first mastermind in Kansas City.
- We grew our email list.
- My Facebook page grew to almost 20,000 (the year isn't over yet so it's still possible to hit that number).
- Instagram is growing - very slowly - but it is still growing!
- I learned much more about creating graphics and Pinterest pins.
- We grew our Boxed Up subscription membership.
- I met some incredible people.
But don't get me wrong...While growing a business has been good, it's also caused me to become less present. They say it's quality over quantity. Not feeling present is just not acceptable. The very reason I started this business was so that I could be home with my children. And, while it has allowed me that priviledge, I never intended to be "home" but buried in work projects or the computer or my phone. Did you know that every photo in these blog posts is supposed to have a description called "alt text" attached to it so that google knows what that picture represents? I only learned that about 2 months ago. The fact is, I'm still pretty clueless on this whole blogging thing. It's easy to come up with my thoughts. But all of the other stuff like SEO and internal links and external links and hyperlinks and focus keyphrases and such makes my head spin. All of the writing isn't really worth it if no one is actually being reached by what I'm writing.
So, this week, in the spirit of simplifying...This blog post will be free of photos! Don't worry - I'll be back to adding photos next week, but being that this is my week to sort of kick back and let a few things go... I've decided to let the photos go for just this week.
Busy is not a brag word!I have come to dispise the word "busy." Busy is not an adjective with which I long to be described. Busy isn't something to brag about. Efficiency is the key to sticking with my resolution or goal of simplification. I want to be efficient. We all know there are only so many hours but I still want to offer all of the "things" that pop up into my mind. My focus has become less on taking care of myself this past year and more on trying to bring light all of the ideas we have in our heads - and by "we" I mean my assistants and me - as well as all of the cute ideas some of you send me!
But here's the thing...
- I'm not working out like I used to.
- I'm not planning meals like I used to (although I'm at least purchasing food more efficiently - see below for more on that).
- I'm not sleeping long enough.
- I'm forgetting things.
- I'm doing important things for our personal life at the last minute or forgetting to do them all together.
- I'm working late into the night.
- I'm not eating well like I used to.
- And, though you won't believe me because that's the MAGIC OF PHOTOS, my house has become a hot mess!